Top tips to stay safe
- Wherever possible, always swim at a lifeguarded beach. Go to www.goodbeachguide.co.uk to search for listings throughout the UK.
- Always read and obey the safety signs, usually found at the entrance to the beach. These will help you avoid potential hazards on the beach and identify the safest areas for swimming.
- When on a lifeguarded beach, find the red and yellow flags and always swim or bodyboard between them – this area is patrolled by lifeguards.
- Never swim alone.
- If you get into trouble stick your hand in the air and shout for help.
- If you see someone in difficulty, never attempt a rescue. Tell a lifeguard, or, if you can’t see a lifeguard, call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard.
Click on the pictures below to view the latest beach safety information.